Unprecedented Surge in Online Gambling Advertisements in Australia for 2022-2023 The year leading up to April 30, 2023, witnessed a remarkable increase in online gambling promotions on Australian free-to-air television and metro radio. This information, sourced from Nielsen Advertising Intel and presented by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), covers the period from May 2022 to April 2023.
- Online Gambling Takes Center Stage:
- Licensed online gambling operators accounted for half of all advertising slots.
- Metro television dedicated 51% of its advertisements to online gambling, highlighting its rising appeal.
- Investment in Advertising:
- The total expenditure on gambling promotions hit a staggering AUD 238.6 million.
- Online operators played a major role, making up 64% of the total expenditure, reflecting a robust consumer interest in online gambling.
- Main Advertising Channels:
- Metro TV was the preferred platform, absorbing 56% of all expenditure, with online gambling taking a prominent place.
- Social media and regional TV also held substantial shares at 15% and 12%, respectively.
- Ad Schedule:
- Advertisements peaked in the evening, particularly between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM, on both metro and regional TV.
These statistics underscore the prevalence of online gambling in Australia’s media environment and add weight to calls for the government to strengthen regulation in this sector due to its significant influence on consumers. For those involved in the online gambling sector, these trends underline the importance of focusing on regions like Australia.